Author Visit With A Difference
I was recently contacted by a teacher at a local school who had set hedgehogs as the theme for a class project. She asked if I could visit the children and talk to them about the volunteer work I do with Herts Hogline (a small organisation that rescues hedgehogs). A date was arranged and I suggested I put on my author hat as well and take my picture book with me ‘A Book For Bramble.’
As I talked to the children I was amazed at the facts the already knew. Including:
- They’re nocturnal
- They roll into a ball to protect themselves
- They eat slugs, snails, caterpillars, bugs etc. but you can also feed them hedgehog food or cat/dog food
- Sadly our hedgehog population is in decline
- There are different types of hedgehogs
- Hedgehogs are quite good swimmers
- A hedgehog can run up to 4 miles per hour (although I know they are fast, as I’ve had to chase escapees, I didn’t know it was that fast)
Although I enjoyed the visit I admit what arrived in the post made the visit special. An envelope containing hedgehogs thank you cards. They will go into the hedgehog shed and put on wall but before I do that I wanted to share them with you.
I hope you’ve enjoyed these images.
If you’re a teacher and have set the theme of hedgehogs as a project and would like me to visit please click here to contact me.
Last but not least:
This winter our hedgehogs have really struggled, many may have sadly died in the floods. So they need our help more than ever. So if you know a hedgehog visits your garden then you may wish to supply it with a new home or perhaps leave some food out.